Newbish

Easy video mapping software for artists
Joel

Newbish

Post by Joel » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Hello, I have had PWL kicking around my my old desktop for a couple of years and just recently acquired a beefy new desktop replcment laptop with tons of power so I thought I'd reactivate my PWL onto this machine. Some questions I have are probably a bit silly but..let's say I have my subject, a girl, sitting down in a chair, and my projector is blowing out a blue screen on her and behind her(to measure my work space);

I'll eventually want to start importing various vid clips and start shaping them/masking them to not only illuminate her, but to illuminate my chosen objects surrounding her on the sides and background. I am assuming I would need to get my matted backgrounds all black if I only want certain areas lit. I love this concept because it seems like a cinematographers dream to have tightly controlled light sources like this, eliminating spillage. Of course, even with a black matter, there would still be some illumination just from the black video but whatever. I guess my question is...I use black, right? I probably already answered that question.

My other question is;

I have a single laptop, and a single projector...I cannot seem to allocate the output projection through my laptop while still being able to monitor my work space area (shaping my mesh, mattes etc -to be able to actually form them around objects in the room). Seems a bit of workaround guess work, with a lot of minimizing screen and testing, testing...is this how it's done, or am I missing a vital piece of knowledge on how to simultaneously do my size work while my projector outputs only the output screen (representing the final composition(s)?) In other words...my projector just projects my laptop work area..whether it's a bunch of 1/2 sized windows, my screen saver or whatever I have up. I wanted to be able to have my laptop only output the "output" screen from PWL, so I can retain my workspace on my laptop screen to be able to size, shape, work at the same time and only see my finished output screen being projected, and not my actual workspace.

Thanks...There will be more! :lol:

bigfug
Site Admin

Re: Newbish

Post by bigfug » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:39 pm

I am assuming I would need to get my matted backgrounds all black if I only want certain areas lit.
Yes, that's quite correct. You're also correct that you will have to deal with some level of light spillage, plus the fact that projectors can't project pure black, so you'll get a little illumination (or quite a bit, if you're projector is on the lower end of the quality scale).
I cannot seem to allocate the output projection through my laptop while still being able to monitor my work space area
Sounds like you haven't set up your screen configuration quite right. As I've just discovered that the PWL online manual isn't working anymore (I'll fix that!) there is a PDF version that explains what you need to do (towards the end):

http://bigfug.com/wp-content/uploads/pa ... ight-1.pdf

Alex